So I was looking through a copy of SFX Magazine from a few months ago and show-runner, Steven Moffat was being asked about the ending of season 8 which led to the obvious question about the possibility of a the Doctor himself ever becoming female. Here's just one part of Mr Moffat's response:
"Given that they [The Master and The Doctor] are two asexual characters, does it matter that they've switched reproductive organs?"
Peter Capaldi, the Doctor himself was also asked about the possibility of a female Doctor some time in the future...
"There easily could be a female Doctor. I think the next time might be a female Doctor. I don't see why not. I think it's good to do that."
Now I actually like Peter Capaldi as the Doctor and I don't really want to see him go any time soon but reading these quotes can't help me but wonder if the makers of Doctor Who were to choose a female actor for the next Doctor, who might they choose. Here are some of my suggestions in no particular order:
- Michelle Dockery (Downton Abbey, Non-Stop, Hanna, Terry Pratchett's Hogfather)
- Joely Richardson (Anonymous, The Tudors, Event Horizon)
- Archie Panjabi (The Good Wife, East Is East, Life On Mars)
- Indira Varma (Game of Thrones, Torchwood, Luther, Exodus: Gods & Kings)
- Emma Watson (Harry Potter Saga, Noah, The Bling Ring, Perks of Being a Wallflower)
- Natalia Tena (Harry Potter Saga, Game of Thrones, Mrs Henderson Presents)
- Gwendoline Christie (Game of Thrones, Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2, Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens)
- Natalie Dormer (The Tudors, The Fades, Game of Thrones)
So, what do you think? Do you agree or disagree with my casting suggestions for a female Doctor, or do you have any casting ideas? Do you even think that a sex-changing regeneration should even happen? Please comment below and let me know and remember this is just a bit of fun so please try to keep things polite.